Fresh Locally Grown Mushrooms Year Round
From creamy white mushrooms to brown portabellas, Monterey Mushrooms® delivers fresh, locally grown mushrooms year round all across North America. Our nutrient-dense savory mushrooms deliver the flavor you crave. Follow our tips to be sure your mushrooms look and taste their very best!
- Caps should be firm and uniform in color (not spotty)
- Mushrooms should be dry to slightly tacky (not slimy)
- For a stronger earthy taste, choose mushrooms with thick veils, dark in color
- For a more delicate flavor, choose mushrooms with thinner veils, light in color
- If you purchased pre-packaged mushrooms, leave them in their packaging and place into the refrigerator. The packaging is designed to keep mushrooms fresh.
- If you purchased loose mushrooms, place them into a paper brown sack.
- DO NOT use plastic bags because the moisture from the mushrooms will get trapped and encourage the mushrooms to break down sooner.
- DO NOT freeze fresh mushrooms. Instead, sauté, then freeze and keep for up to one month frozen.
- Wipe the cap and stem of mushrooms with a damp paper towel
- If you’re preparing many mushrooms, run them under water quickly and immediately pat dry with a paper towel.
- DO NOT soak in water, mushrooms will absorb the water and become spongy.