Recipe Courtesy of the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com
Take a culinary twist on the traditional crab cake with this crab and mushroom recipe at your next party.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1-4oz. cake with 1 tablespoon aioli
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup Great Northern or cannellini beans (from a 15 to 16-oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1 small)
- 1 small jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large portabella mushrooms, gills removed and finely chopped
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 teaspoons low fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons grated part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (divided)
- 1 (6-oz. pkg.) refrigerated crabmeat, cleaned and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotles chile in adobo sauce (from a 7.5-oz. can), seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Place all aioli ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan. Add rice, turn heat down and simmer 30 – 40 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
2. Meanwhile, place drained beans in a large bowl. mash thoroughly using the back of a fork or potato masher. Set bowl aside. Heat butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add onion and jalapeno. Cook 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often. Add portabella, cremini and button mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are almost dry. Stir in flour and cook 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and, when cooled to room temperature, fold mixture into the mashed beans.
3. Stir egg, mayonnaise, warm cooked rice, cheese, lemon juice, cilantro and cayenne into mashed beans. Fold in shiitake mushrooms, crab and scallions (the mixture will be sticky).
4. Portion into 24 mounds by packing mixture into 1/4 cup measure or small ice cream scoop, arranging in a single layer on a baking sheet. Use a flat-bottomed mug or large glass to flatten each mound into a 2 to 3-inch patty. Sprinkle with half of the panko crumbs, pressing in lightly. Use a spatula to carefully turn each patty. Sprinkle with remaining panko.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick 10-inch skillet until hot over medium heat. Working in batches, cook patties 5 to 8 minutes or until well browned on both sides, adding oil as needed. Keep warm until ready to serve.
8. Serve cakes topped with 1 teaspoon of chipotle aioli (recipe follows) each.
One 4oz. cake with 1 tablespoon aioli: Calories: 324; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 54g; Sodium: 483mg; Protein: 12g; Carbohydrates: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 3g