What's better than a classic beef stroganoff? A dairy-free and gluten-free beef stroganoff, that's what. We created this allergen-friendly recipe so everyone can enjoy it. The recipe includes coconut cream, mustard, Baby Bella mushrooms, and dill.
- 2 lbs frying beef such as top sirloin, or tenderloin – cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 medium-sized shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic – smashed
- 16 oz Monterey Mushrooms Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp dried dill
- 4 tbsp grainy mustard or Dijon
- 2 cans coconut cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Season beef with salt and pepper and coat with almond flour
- Preheat a 14” skillet with tall sides over high heat. Add avocado oil and let heat 30 seconds. Add steak and cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes. Flip steak slices and cook an additional 1 minute. Transfer browned steak to a bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add more avocado oil, onions, and mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Sauté mushrooms 4-5 minutes.
- Once mushrooms have browned and their moisture has evaporated, add shallots and garlic. Sauté an additional 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock to deglaze pan. Scrape any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook an additional 2 minutes or until stock has reduced by half.
- Add 2 cans of coconut cream, lemon juice, dill, and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Return beef to the pan and toss to coat.
- Gently simmer the sauce for 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper as required.
- Serve overtop of mashed potatoes.
Serving alternatives: You can serve this stroganoff over noodles of your choice. Or to add another veggie to your plate, serve over cauliflower mashed "potatoes".
Vegetarian/ Vegan Variation: This recipe is easy to adapt without meat by doubling the amount of mushrooms. Substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock.
Leftovers: Go ahead and double this one. It's delicious the next day, too!
A Classic Variation: Our friends at The Produce Moms whipped up this delicious classic stroganoff recipe for those who say, "Bring on the dairy and gluten, I want the classic recipe!"