Many people fail to stick to a healthy meal plan because they don’t get creative, eating plain salads one too many times and turning in the towel for a more flavorful, usually fatty and less healthy alternative.
Well, this taco lettuce wrap recipe is anything up boring! With a bright pineapple strawberry salsa, smooth avocado cream and savory mushroom meat mix, these low-cal tacos from Blenditarian, courtesy of Kim's Cravings, are a sure-fire way to stick to that diet.
- 16 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, finely chopped to resemble ground meat
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning, you will have the perfect amount for avocado crema and all! (or store bought)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
Pineapple Strawberry Salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning + sea salt to taste
*This recipe for avocado crema will make enough for your tacos and some to spare, great for serving with raw veggies, slathering on omelets and more. If you would prefer just enough for the recipe, consider cutting the ingredients in half.
- Heat olive oil over medium to high heat in a large skillet. Add chopped mushrooms and cook for about 3-5 minutes to enhance flavor. Remove to bowl and set aside.
- Add additional olive oil or cooking spray and ground meat to the same skillet and cook, tossing and breaking up meat occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add back in mushrooms, taco seasoning and broth, reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced.
- While meat/mushroom blend is cooking, prepare pineapple strawberry salsa and avocado crema. In a small bowl, combine all fruits and stir in apple cider vinegar and honey. Combine all crema ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Double up lettuce leaves for easier serving and fill with meat/mushroom blend, strawberry salsa and avocado crema.
% Daily Value
Fat: 15.3 g
Saturated fat: 2.8 g
Carbohydrates: 21.4 g
Sodium: 385.8 mg
Fiber: 4.8 g
Protein: 15.8 g
Cholesterol: 43.3 mg