The best way to bring your lunch with you? Place it in a jar! This recipe is portable, fun and includes a blend of meat and mushrooms - great for lunch to bring to school or work. You're welcome to use any size mason jars for this recipe, we used 16 ounce jars.
- 1 tsp coconut oil or oil of choice safe for high heat
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces chopped cremini mushrooms or Let's Blend Mexican flavor
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- Romaine lettuce chopped or use bagged salad
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 bottle Catalina or Ranch salad dressing or make you own
- Optional - Tortilla chips for top
This recipe makes four to six 16 ounce mason jar salads.
- Heat oil, chop onion, and chop mushrooms.
- Sauté diced onion in oil, add in the mushrooms. Once that is cooked and reduced, add the ground beef to skillet. Cook until no longer pink, approx. 20 minutes.
- Mix taco seasoning with water and tomato paste.
- Add this seasoning mixture to the ground beef.
- Stir well until mixture is fully combined. Cook for 5 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
Prepare you mason jars. You will layer your taco salad in the jar.
How to Build a Jar Salad
This recipe works by building your salad from the bottom up. What you'd like to be on the bottom of your plate, goes on the top of the salad jar. Here are the steps to building your taco salad jar.
- Salad dressings goes in jar first usually 2 - 4 Tbsp.
- Next add proteins: ground beef mix, then beans.
- We added the cheese next so it melted. Yum!
- Then non-absorbent veggies - tomatoes, avocados, corn.
- Next layer is soft veggies- lettuces and greens.
- The Final layer is chips.
To eat, shake, pour salad on to a plate and enjoy!