The versatility of mushrooms is showcased in this sandwich. You can feel confident serving this as an appetizer or entrée to any crowd. Your vegetarian friends will be impressed with the satisfying umami flavor and your meat-loving friends will think you made the best ever pulled pork sandwich ever!
- 4 oz. Maitake (or oyster) mushrooms
- ½ c. sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ c. barbecue sauce of your choice
- ¼ c. water
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 4 “slider buns” — mini burger buns
- Pull Maitake apart into individual fronds and slice onions.
- Sauté the onions and Maitake in the vegetable oil until lightly browned.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked, add the remaining ingredients: barbecue sauce, water, cider vinegar and mustard. Simmer a few minutes to combine the flavors. Spoon mixture on to slider buns and serve.