Chicken pot pie is surely a beloved comfort food, but can become quite the undertaking — requiring a lot of time and commitment to cook. Not this chicken and mushroom pot pie, though!
Instead of making the pot pies in messy ramekins or in a cupcake tray, this simple recipe calls for you to bake pre-prepared biscuits for little-to-no cleanup. All you need is a pan to cook the umami-rich mushrooms, lean chicken, and mixed vegetables. Best of all, it uses cans of Cream of Chicken and Mushroom soup to cut some of the leg-work of making gravy from scratch.
But don’t think you’re sacrificing taste for convenience. With grilled chicken breast, creamy mushrooms and vegetables in every bite, this pie is a sure crowd-pleaser. Quick and tasty! We’re confident this will be the easiest homemade chicken pot pie recipe you’ve ever made.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3½ celery stalks, diced
- 2 (10.5-oz) cans Campbell's™ Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup, condensed
- 2 (10.5-oz) cans of Campbell's™ Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1.5 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz Monterey® High Vitamin D Mushrooms, sliced (Whites or Baby Bellas)*
- 1 (12 oz) can Pillsbury Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers Flaky Biscuits
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan and grill until fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and let cool to the touch.
- Clean your celery under running water and dice.
- Peel and dice your onion and garlic.
- Clean your mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here, careful NOT to rinse. If you didn’t purchase pre-sliced mushrooms, you will need to cut them. If the mushroom cap is 1.5” or smaller, leave whole. If larger than 1.5”, cut in half. If larger than 2.5”, cut into quarters.
- Shred your chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pan, with the mushrooms, onion, garlic and celery.
- Add in the cans of mushroom and chicken soup, milk, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk until mixed well.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 18 minutes.
- Keep the pan on while preheating the oven to 400°F. Continue to let your pan cook for another 12 minutes as you unpackage the biscuits and bake according to the package directions. Don’t forget to stir while preparing!
- Keep the pan on low after the full 30 minutes of cooking time ends. About 10 minutes before getting ready to serve, add parsley and frozen vegetables.
- To serve, place a heaping cup of the chicken and mushroom pot pie mixture in a bowl and top with a warm, flakey biscuit!
Blending with Mushrooms 101! Are you intimidated by the concept of blending mushrooms with meat? If so, visit our page Blending with Fresh Mushrooms to view easy step-by-step instructions with illustrations to take the guesswork out of the equation. Once you understand this concept, it's easy to incorporate into your everyday favorite ground meat dishes.
Holiday Recipes with Mushrooms
Ready for more? In our Holiday Recipes with Mushrooms Cookbook, we have 13 impressive recipes to show off to dinner guests. From appetizers like Baby Bellas, Figs, Honey & Brie to main courses like Mushroom, Apple & Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash, you won’t be disappointed. Download your free cookbook today!