Any vegetarian knows what it’s like to gather around the holiday dinner table. It’s meat-based dishes galore! Stuffing is often ruled out for its use of chicken stock— but not this stuffing recipe… Instead of chicken or beef broth, we use vegetable stock to create a vegetarian filling, one that’s scrumptious enough for the whole family to enjoy.
The secret? Our special ingredient: mushrooms. There’s nothing like the robust taste of mushrooms to give a dish that rich and savory mouthfeel without the meat. The finely diced mushrooms also help to make the stuffing feel lighter, so the meat lovers in the family can save room on their plate for ham and turkey or other filling foods. Plus, when choosing Monterey’s High Vitamin D mushrooms, you are adding extra nutrients with each and every bite.
Just when you thought you found the perfect vegetarian stuffing recipe, it gets better. We also have a vegetarian, gluten-free gravy you can pour over it! Delicious.
Best of all? Filling freezes well. Make a big batch and save the rest for later! Now that’s how to make the holidays last.
Thank you to our very own Western Region Operations Manager Jill, for this mouthwatering filling recipe!
- 16 oz Monterey® High Vitamin D mushrooms,* sliced (Whites or Baby Bellas)*, finely diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tbsps garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups salted butter or a vegan alternative**
- 12 cups unseasoned bread cubes
- 1-1/2 tbsps vegetarian-friendly “poultry” seasoning***
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Our Monterey® White and Baby Bella mushrooms are also available nationwide in High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.
**That’s right! By swapping out the butter for a vegan alternative, you can instantly make this recipe vegan-friendly. That’s because this stuffing recipe does not include eggs like traditional filling. The mushrooms help to bind while baking!
***While the name “poultry seasoning” doesn’t sound very vegetarian, it’s the name given to an herb mixed commonly used on chicken. Traditional poultry seasoning contains a vegan blend of sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg and black pepper. Make the seasoning yourself if you can’t find it at the store!
- Clean your celery under running water and dice.
- Peel and dice your onion and garlic.
- Clean your mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here, careful NOT to rinse. If you didn’t purchase pre-sliced mushrooms, you will need to cut them. If the mushroom cap is 1.5” or smaller, leave whole. If larger than 1.5”, cut in half. If larger than 2.5”, cut into quarters.
- Sauté mushrooms, onions, garlic and celery in the butter on low to medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
- Place your bread cubes in a large bowl. Add sautéd mixture, your butter or a vegan alternative**, vegetarian-friendly “poultry” seasoning***, vegetable broth, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Put the stuffing in a buttered pan. Bake at 350° F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Don’t forget to pair with our delicious related recipes below, including our Easy Gluten-Free Mushroom Gravy or other holiday favorites.
- Freeze any leftover mushroom stuffing for up to 3 months.
All The Best Holiday Recipes with Mushrooms
Ready for more? In our Holiday Recipes with Mushrooms Cookbook, we have 13 impressive recipes to show off to dinner guests. From appetizers like Baby Bellas, Figs, Honey & Brie to main courses like Mushroom, Apple & Walnut Stuffed Acorn Squash, you won’t be disappointed. Download your free cookbook today!