As busy as you are, you probably look for recipes that make your week easier. Meals that you can prepare ahead and that are portable are even better. And if it is a comfort food, you’ve found a winner.
This recipe for Shiitake Mushrooms in ramen is definitely a winner! Ramen is a tasty, satisfying and comforting meal that is perfect to make ahead and easily taken to-go. When you take all of the great flavors of your favorite ramen and add the rich, smoky flavor of Shiitake Mushrooms, you have a meal that you will want to make every week!
You may think of Shiitake Mushrooms as “wild mushrooms” since you probably find them in the grocery store with other wild varieties. However, they are the second most cultivated edible mushroom in the world. Their full-bodied, earthy flavor makes them a perfect addition to soup, stir-fry and pasta dishes.
Learning how to prepare Shiitake Mushrooms for ramen isn’t difficult. Remember that you should rarely wash mushrooms; instead wipe them off with a damp cloth. Then slice.
When you prepare Shiitake Mushroom ramen in wide-mouthed jars, you have a delicious meal to take to the office or pack in school lunches. You can store your prepared ramen for up to three days in the refrigerator. Then, when you are ready to eat, simply add boiling water!
Thanks to the Mushroom Council
for this recipe.
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces Monterey® Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces Asian noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 tbsps chicken bouillon paste or broth base
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Asian-style hot sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 2 cups raw, shredded carrots
- 5 green onions with both white and green portion sliced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 4 16-ounce wide-mouth jars with lids
- ¾ cup boiling water for each jar, when ready to serve
- Clean your mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here, being careful NOT to rinse them. If you didn’t purchase pre-sliced mushrooms, you will need to slice them.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add Shiitake Mushrooms and cook until browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Do not stir often while cooking. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Cook Asian noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Stir bouillon paste, soy sauce and hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Spoon an equal amount of the bouillon sauce into the bottom of each jar.
- Add the following ingredients in this order to each of the 4 jars:
- ¼ cup of carrots
- ¼ of the green onions
- Another ¼ cup of carrots
- ¼ of the cooked Shiitake Mushrooms
- ¼ of the cooked noodles
- ¼ cup of diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
- Store jars in the refrigerator for up to three days. When ready to serve, pour ¾ cup of boiling water into the jar. Stir well and enjoy.
After enjoying your portable Shiitake Mushrooms Ramen, you may be interested in more Asian-inspired recipes. Here are a few you are sure to love!
More Meatless Meals
Interested in exploring more meatless meals? The high umami content in mushrooms makes them the perfect stand-in for meat and reduces both calories and fat. Learn more about umami, access 6 delicious recipes, and find out 12 ways to cook with mushrooms when you download this guide for cooking with Portabella mushrooms.