When you think of grilled mushrooms, you imagine smokey, slightly browned bites— and you’d be right. But there’s something about enhancing fresh fungi with the rich flavor of balsamic vinegar... Roasting on those grates, the taste becomes something complex: sweet notes of fig and molasses infused with the tartness of vinegar and bold umami. Add minced garlic and the right heat and suddenly you have yourself a sharp yet smooth glaze— sure to both pique the interest of picnic guests.
Bursting with flavor, these marinated balsamic mushroom kebabs make one mean and “clean” snack that works as an appetizer or a side dish at your next cookout. Or, use them to top a tasty burger or steak: your choice!
A big shout out to Mushrooms Canada for the balsamic mushroom recipe inspiration.
- 16 oz Monterey® White or Baby Bella mushrooms*
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
*Our Monterey® White and Baby Bella mushrooms are also available nationwide in High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 oz and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.
BALSAMIC GARLIC GLAZE
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
From small family gatherings to big summer cookouts, make as many or as few skewers as you prefer by doubling or tripling the recipe.
- Clean your mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here, careful NOT to rinse. If you didn’t purchase pre-sliced mushrooms, you may need to cut them. If the mushroom cap is 1.5” or smaller, leave whole. If larger than 1.5”, cut in half. If larger than 2.5”, cut into quarters.
- Prepare balsamic garlic marinade by combining the ingredients listed above in a medium-sized bowl. Place sliced mushrooms inside and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
- String the mushrooms onto metal skewers* and place them onto a large baking dish for an easy transfer to the grill.
*If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak the sticks in water for about 20 minutes before adding your ingredients to the stick. This will prevent the wood from catching fire while you’re barbecuing.
- Save the remaining balsamic sauce and bring it out to your grill with a baster.
- Grill your balsamic kebabs on medium until slightly charred and mushroom texture is softened, usually about 4 minutes on each side. Between flips, glaze with your remaining balsamic garlic marinade to keep your mushrooms from drying out on the grill and to give them a deep flavor profile.*
*Check out these grilling tips to understand the best cooking temperature and positioning on the grill when grilling with mushrooms.
- Serve warm with your other picnic favorites as an appetizer, side dish, or topper for your steak or burger.
If you’d rather skip the marinating process, you can purchase jars of our Italian Marinated Mushrooms. They won’t have a balsamic glaze, but the Italian seasoning sure is delicious!
If you love kebabs, you have to read our blog, 5 Mushroom-Inspired Kebabs to Create This Summer! Here are a few other kebab recipes, just for you!
Eager to keep on grilling? Here are more mushroom friendly-grill recipes to put your new skills to good use!
SIGN ME UP FOR MORE GRILLED KEBABS!
New to making kebabs or want some inspiration for creative combinations? Be sure to download our 10 Ways to Kebab ebook, which includes tips for temperature control, cutting, and stringing techniques to make brag-worthy kebabs!