When you think kebab, you likely think “grill,” “summer,” “sunshine”— beautiful, warm days spent outside with loved ones. Boy, do we have the perfect kebab for the occasion: our lemony salmon mushroom delight!
Salmon and mushrooms are both superfoods and loaded with antioxidants. Plus, they can be high sources of vitamin D! Add a few scrumptious vegetables— like asparagus and grape tomatoes— and you got yourself one healthy meal.
This hassle-free recipe only requires a quick cleaning and cut followed by a short-but-toasty lounge on your grill. Just five minutes on each side is all these salmon kebabs should need to soak up the rich olive oil. Finish it off with a pinch of salt and pepper and a bright spritz of lemon, and— there you have it!— you’re a griller extraordinaire.
Your quantity will depend on how many kebabs you want to grill. From small family gatherings to big summer cookouts, make as many or as few skewers as you prefer!
- Monterey® Baby Bella mushrooms*
- Grape tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice, for garnish
*Our Monterey® Sliced Baby Bella mushrooms are also available nationwide in High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 oz and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.
- Rinse your asparagus and grape tomatoes in cool water. Cut asparagus into two-inch pieces. Leave your grape tomatoes whole.
- Thickly slice your lemon(s), leaving the rind on, into ½ inch half-moons.
- Cut your raw salmon into 1.5x1.5-inch cubes, leaving the skin on the bottom, should you desire, or remove.
- Clean your mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here. Cut each Baby Bella in half, down the center.
- Pierce each ingredient onto your metal skewer*, alternating to add variety. For example, you may choose to start with a mushroom, then two cuts of asparagus, followed by a grape tomato, salmon, lemon and repeat.
*If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak the sticks in water for about 20 minutes before adding your ingredients to the stick. This will prevent the wood from catching fire while you’re barbecuing.
- Place your salmon mushroom kebabs on the grill and brush with olive oil. Then, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Be sure to check out these grilling tips to understand the best cooking temperature and positioning on the grill.
- Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or however long you need to achieve the perfect grill lines or char.
- After browned to your desired darkness, spritz your kebabs with lemon juice before plating.
If you love kebabs, you have to read our blog, 5 Mushroom-Inspired Kebabs to Create This Summer! Here are a few other kebab recipes, just for you!
Eager to keep on grilling? Here are more mushroom friendly-grill recipes to put it to good use!
WANT MORE KEBABS?
New to making kebabs or want some inspiration for creative combinations? Be sure to download our 10 Ways to Kebab ebook, which includes tips for temperature control, cutting, and stringing techniques to make brag-worthy kebabs!