If you love Hawaiian burgers topped with juicy, grilled pineapple or just about anything smothered in teriyaki sauce, we’ve got a new way for you to enjoy both tropical and Japanese-inspired favorites. Kebabs!
We’re taking the classic ingredients in an ordinary Hawaiian dish— bright pineapple, vitamin-rich red bell pepper and sweet onion— and sizzling them on some hot grates. We toss robust Baby Bella mushrooms into the mix for their tender mouthfeel and their “meaty” umami flavor! (Though, this recipe pairs amazingly well with BBQed chicken or Italian sausage for those who want a pop of protein).
The secret ingredient in this Hawaiian kebab recipe is its lip-smacking, homemade teriyaki sauce. Your marinated or basted bites infuse with its sweet and savory flavor on the hot grill— making one mean, smokey glaze.
Say “Aloha” to your new favorite kebab recipe: our Mushroom Hawaiian Kebabs with Teriyaki Sauce!
- 1 lb Monterey® Baby Bella mushrooms*
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion
- 1 small fresh pineapple**
- 6-8 12-inch wooden or metal skewers
TERIYAKI SAUCE FOR BASTE
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed down firmly in the measuring cup
- 1 cup mirin (or substitute with 1 cup of white wine or dry sherry)
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Addition suggestions: Hawaiian recipes pair excellently with teriyaki chicken or Italian sausage. Consider grilling some savory meat on the side to keep these kebabs vegetarian-friendly, while still giving meat-lovers a robust side.
*Our Monterey® Baby Bella mushrooms are also available nationwide in sliced High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 oz and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.**You’ll likely have about half a pineapple left after this recipe. Grill up some rings to top on burgers or to serve as a bright side. If having a picnic, save them as garnishes for drinks!
- Rinse your red peppers in cool water. Slice lengthwise into two-inch slivers or squares.
- Peel casing off onion and slice into two-inch squares as well.
- Clean your Baby Bella mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms. Be sure not to rinse! Water and mushrooms don’t mix and can compromise their unique texture and flavor. If the mushroom cap is 1.5” or smaller, leave it whole. If larger than 1.5”, cut the shroom in half. Check out these grilling tips for mushroom kebabs here for more cutting recommendations.
- Cut your fresh pineapple into two-inch squares. Here’s the easiest way to cut a pineapple from Delish to save time.
- Prepare your teriyaki sauce. Place the brown sugar, mirin and soy sauce in a small saucepan and place over medium heat, then stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. This will take 40-50 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and allow to cool. A special thank you to The Mushroom Council for this savory baste.
- Preheat grill (or oven) to 400º F.
- Should you like to marinate your ingredients in your teriyaki sauce, soak your cubed vegetables, fruit and mushrooms for 20 minutes. This can enhance the flavor of your kebabs and add important moisture to your ingredients to avoid drying out on the grill.
- If you’re short on time, simply skewer your ingredients and brush the sauce on your kebabs. Remember, if using wooden skewers, be sure to soak in a water bath for 20 minutes prior to grilling to prevent them from catching fire while barbecuing! Check out our helpful “How to String Kebabs” video below this recipe for assembly tips.
- Place kebabs on the grill and cook for two minutes over indirect heat, or until grill marks are established on your pepper, mushrooms, pineapple and onions. Be sure to check out these grilling tips to understand the difference between direct and indirect heat on the grates.
- After two minutes on one side, flip and baste with your teriyaki sauce again. Cook an additional 5 minutes in indirect heat (direct heat will burn the sugars in the sauce).
- Flip and baste again and cook an additional 7 minutes, or however long you need to achieve the perfect grill lines or char.
- Serve hot and pair with your BBQ or picnic favorites!
If you love kebabs, you have to read our blog, 5 Mushroom-Inspired Kebabs to Create This Summer. Here are a few other kebab recipes, just for you!
Eager to grill more? Here are more mushroom-friendly grill recipes to put it to good use!
If you’ve never “kebabed” before, be sure to download our 10 Ways to Kebab ebook, which includes tips for temperature control, cutting and stringing techniques to make brag-worthy kebabs!