We all get cravings for pizza, but no one wants the added calories or carbs. What if you could enjoy a melty, warm “pizza” without the fattening dough? You can, with some mouthwatering Portabella mushroom caps.
These Port caps are lathered in rich EVOO and flavorful Italian seasoning before they’re grilled to perfection. The mushroom base helps to imitate the rich umami taste of meat-heavy pizzas, without the meat. In fact, it’s this mushroom base that makes these caps a vegetarian favorite— smothered in creamy Mozzarella cheese good enough to eat alone— and able to be customized with any toppings imaginable. It makes these mini pizzas a crowd-pleaser; meat lovers can top their own caps with all the pepperoni, sausage or bacon that their heart desires while those with dietary restrictions can make their own preferred creation.
This is a fun recipe to whip up with the kids or to lay out as a smashing “build-your-own-mini-pizzas” spread at your next big party. Be as creative or simple as you want with this easy Portabella pizza recipe!
- 4 Monterey® Portabella mushroom caps*
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings of your choice.
Topping suggestions: onions, spinach, olives, bell peppers, pineapple, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, artichoke hearts, or extra cheese. Really, add anything you’d like!
*Our Monterey® Portabella mushroom caps are also available nationwide in High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 oz and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.
- Preheat grill (or oven) to 375º F.
- Prepare your favorite pizza toppings by slicing them as thickly or finely as you prefer.
- Clean Portabella mushroom and remove stems with our tips for preparing mushrooms here.
- Lightly brush Portabella caps and gills with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Gently spread ¼ cup of pizza sauce in each cap and sprinkle each with about a ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Add toppings of your choice.
Grill (or bake) for 15 minutes or until the cap is tender. If grilling, check out these grilling tips, straight from our fungi experts!
If these Portabella mushroom pizza caps look delish, you’re sure to love these other pizza recipes— all featuring fabulous fungi!
Love Portabellas? They’re one of our favorite mushrooms too. Check out these amazing recipes and have a little fun dressing up your caps in the kitchen:
LOOKING FOR MEAT-FREE RECIPES?
The mighty mushroom is truly a meat-free wonder, tasting remarkably like many meats thanks to its savory, rich umami hit on the tongue. Check out these other remarkable meatless recipes featuring scrumptious mushrooms by downloading our Meatless Meals virtual recipe book!