These kebabs are a grilling twist on an American favorite: steak and mushrooms. But it’s not exactly easy to walk around the backyard trying to cut a big piece of steak on a flimsy paper plate.
So instead of serving the traditional slab, “wow” guests at your cookout with these tender, bite-size pieces. They’re easy to walk around with, share or slide off the skewer for pre-cut kid-sized portions.
The hearty Portabellas add a deeper, richer umami flavor than traditional Baby Bellas and steak. Plus, there’s virtually no preparation needed on picnic day! Just place the skewers on the grill and go.
- 16 oz Monterey® Sliced Portabella Mushroom* pack, cubed
- 1 lb of Sirloin or Skirt steak, cut 1 inch thick
*Our Monterey® Sliced Portabella mushrooms are also available nationwide in High Vitamin D varieties, in both 8 oz and 16 oz packages. Check out where you can buy your vitamin-rich mushrooms here.
From small family gatherings to big summer cookouts, make as many or as few skewers as you prefer by doubling or tripling the recipe.
MONTE’S MUSHROOM MARINADE
In order to give your mushrooms a rich flavor before grilling, consider whipping up a delicious marinade, made just for our Monterey (or any brand!) Portabellas.
- Makes enough to coat 8 large Portabella caps
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
Close the ingredients in a plastic Ziploc bag and shake to mix well. Let it marinate for 10 minutes, shake it again and flip the bag, letting the other side marinate for another 10 minutes. Remove the caps from the bag and place them on a clean plate to prepare for grilling.
While you could just toss a plain ol’ steak on the grill, where’s the fun in that? Let it soak in this rich, robust steak marinade for added flavor.
This mouthwatering steak marinade is courtesy of The Mushroom Council.
Of course, you could also double Monte’s Mushroom Marinade and use it for your steak!
- Enough for 1 pound of steak
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard and rosemary into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add steak to bowl, mix to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- At least 12-24 hours prior to grilling, remove and rinse your meat. Place in a large bowl and coat in your marinade (instructions above). Feel free to add any other seasonings you’d like to flavor your steak. Use your hands to rub the marinade into the meat and coat it fully. Refrigerate covered for a minimum of 1 hour before grilling.
- Clean your Portabella mushrooms with our tips for preparing mushrooms here. If you didn’t purchase pre-sliced mushrooms, slice whole caps to 1” thick slivers.
- Follow our Monte’s Mushroom Marinade instructions above to marinate your mushrooms.
- Preheat the grill to medium to high heat.
- Remove marinated meat from the fridge and cut into two-inch cubes.
- Pierce steak pieces and mushroom slices onto your metal skewers*, alternating as preferred.
*If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak the sticks in water for about 20 minutes before adding your ingredients to the stick. This will prevent the wood from catching fire while you’re barbecuing.
- Place kebabs on the grill and alternate from direct to indirect heat to get desired grill marks. Grill for four minutes on each side and check the center of a piece of steak for your desired doneness. Be sure to check out these grilling tips to understand the best cooking temperature and positioning on the grill.
- Serve with your picnic favorites and enjoy!
If you love kebabs, you have to read our blog, 5 Mushroom-Inspired Kebabs to Create This Summer! Here are a few other kebab recipes, just for you!
Eager to keep on grilling? Here are more mushroom friendly-grill recipes to put it to good use!
GIVE ME MORE KEBABS, PLEASE!
New to making kebabs or want some inspiration for creative combinations? Be sure to download our 10 Ways to Kebab ebook, which includes tips for temperature control, cutting, and stringing techniques to make brag-worthy kebabs!